Wednesday, August 16, 2006

School Registration

The local school district requires registration in the summer for all students, new or returning. I did that and filled out an enormous packet of paperwork. The registrar said, "Great!" I thought everything was fine.

Well, I took my child to school and she wasn't on any list for her grade. I went to the office and stood in line with the other parents whose children also weren't listed. There were a lot of us and it took a long time. The children were all small and many had very young siblings, so add lots of crabby kids to your mental picture of this event.

It was my turn and I found out that I was missing a paper. In the end, it turned out that the registrar does not have access to the computer while she is registering the kids. She inspects the pages we hand her and if everything seems to be in order, she sends us on our way. Later, when the information is typed in, the computer will notice missing bits or incongruencies and flag those kids. That's what happened with me.

I sound gripy--and I am--because this happened to me last year, too. But it's not as bad as it could be. I got my child registered in time for her to attend class that first day. She didn't have to walk in late and have everyone stare at her.

Ah, well, time to wind up a rather whiny post.

No comments: